A FIVE-YEAR-OLD boy has died after a dentist removed two of his baby teeth under general anaesthesia.
Police are currently investigating the tragedy that left young Veles brain dead after the routine operation at a clinic in Lviv, Ukraine.
faceboookYoung Veles, 5, suffered a cardiac arrest during the operation to remove two of his teeth and fell into a coma[/caption]
faceboookAn investigation has been launched and police are probing whether the clinic’s staff are responsible[/caption]
On December 17, Marianna Vakhniak and her partner Viktor Pashnyk took their five-year-old to the Ori-Dent dental clinic to get two of his milk teeth pulled out.
Veles was reportedly nervous so the surgeon offered to have him put-under during the operation.
His parents, who are both musicians, agreed – but the youngster reportedly became agitated and refused to put on his mark.
Vakhniak then claims she asked for the procedure to stop but he pleas went unheard Veles was put to sleep, Ukrainian news outlet Unian reports.
However, shortly after the operation started, the mother heard a commotion and watched in horror as medical workers rushed into the room.
After 20 minutes, two teams of emergency responders had arrived at the clinic and rushed Veles to the local hospital, St Nicholas.
Vakhniak said that she was told his heart had stopped after he was placed under general anaesthetic.
The doctors had managed to restart it but by the time he was transferred to an intensive care unit, Veles was diagnosed as brain dead.
“It is still not clear to us what [was] done in the operating room to a healthy child so that he was now in a coma with no chance of life,” his heartbroken father said back in December.
Veles was put on life support and later died on January 13.
A police investigation has been launched and police are probing whether medical workers were responsible for the child’s death, the Prosecutor General’s Office said.
The department said that the investigation is “ongoing” and that “a legal assessment will be given to the actions of the medical workers.”
Pashnyk, announced his son’s death on Facebook, writing: “Fly, our Boy, Fly… Peace to all of us from Heaven.
“Rest in Peace, Our Beloved Lesyuno!”
In November 2023, a one-year-old baby died in the Ukrainian city of Ternopil after also being put under general anaesthetic to remove his milk teeth.
Unian news reports that the youngster suffered an allergic reaction and was not able to be woken up.
The Ternopil Regional Prosecutor’s Office said that the preliminary cause of the boy’s death was acute lung and heart failure.
faceboookFive-year-old Vales with his mother, Marianna Vakhniak[/caption]
faceboookThe tragedy at the dentist left the boy brain dead[/caption]Leave a comment